1941 Dodge Half Ton 4x4 Ambulance
Perhaps no city in the world drove the WWII Allied war effort more than did Detroit, Michigan. Companies such as General Motors, Ford and Chrysler mostly ceased production of civilian vehicles and within a matter of months turned their factories to building tanks, planes, jeeps and trucks in the hundreds of thousands each year during the War. Although German engineering is often admired, made in Detroit became synonymous with a rugged durability unmatched by any other wartime nation's manufacturers; holding a quality all its own. In particular, 4x4 trucks made in Detroit ranked among the most important vehicles powering the Allied war machine.
The Dodge WC series half ton 4x4 truck represented one of the early model trucks used by the US Army. Seen here is a Dodge half ton truck outfitted as an ambulance; one of the many possible roles filled by this versatile vehicle. The half ton series Dodge trucks were built in 1941 and 1942; replaced in production by a larger three quarter ton model. Dodge manufactured some 79,771 half ton WC series trucks ("W" stood for a truck built during or after 1941 and "C" stood for half ton). This particular series was produced in 38 models used for a variety of jobs; including ambulance, reconnaissance, dump truck, cargo and more. In spite of its replacement by three quarter ton trucks, the half ton version served until the end of the War with 80% of its parts interchangeable with the larger vehicles.
Picture Courtesy of Steven Mercatante